Blogocracy: 100 Popular Christian Bloggers (as measured by Facebook Followers)

crown 1

Update–I have updated the list here

Okay, I have bravely (foolhardily?) put together a resource list of 100  popular Christian bloggers, as measured by Facebook fans.

Adrian Warnock’s list introducing us to the top Christian bloggers, as measured by Twitter followers, was very helpful in highlighting interesting new Christians, and I hope my list will  be similarly useful.

I define a Christian blog as one with engagement with Christ and with faith as a principal preoccupation—rather than a blog written by a Christian which is principally about homemaking, home-schooling, parenting, frugality, books, writing, personal development, or one’s personal life. I have also tried to focus on blogs largely written by an individual, rather than a consortium of bloggers.

Please let me know if I have left you—or your favourite blogger—out.  At this point, I guess I am looking for bloggers with at least 400 Facebook likes.

Enjoy!

95 Leigh Kramer Hopeful Leigh 372
96 Matt Appling The Church of No People 335
97 Ed Cyzewski In a Mirror Dimly 324
98 Carolyn Weber Pressing Save 294
99 Ellen Painter Dollar Ellen Painter Dollar 256
100 D. L. Mayfield D L Mayfield 213
Get all my posts quietly in your inbox by entering your email:

Comments

1. Mrthekidd says

Is it a bad thing to aspire to being on a list such as this? I guess motivation is a key part. Hmm.

2. Margaret says

Humbled to be included on this list, Anita. Thank you for featuring just a handful of people loving the Bride and furthering the Kingdom.

3. Joy Lenton says

Good to see you made the list, Anita. Expected nothing less! Also good to see many that I follow and enjoy are included here too. An interesting survey. One day maybe…a girl can but dream…and aspire to great things! :) xx

• says

I thought it would be interesting to compile a definitive list for browsing. Roy says I will get bumped off my own list as people point out omissions. But I will enjoy it while it lasts :-)

4. Diana Butler Bass says

Anita–

Just a quick adjustment on my stats.  I actually have two Facebook pages, a public one and a personal one.  The personal one has 4700 followers and is more active than the public one–and a good number of journalists are on the private page.  People regularly get stuff from the personal/private page and make that info public…it shows up in news stories, etc.  There’s only a 500 person cross-over between the two lists.

• says

Thank you, Diana. I will sort out the stats. I too have a more active personal FB page, with 800 friends rather than the 300 people on my public page.

And thank you for visiting the list. It’s just for fun and to introduce bloggers to new audiences. I made it for myself, and then decided to share it!

• says

Yes, I have used the metric of an FB Public or Fan page for the blog. It’s really just for fun and to introduce people to new audiences, like Adrian Warnock’s list of the top bloggers ranked by Twitter followers.
      Just to introduce new bloggers…that’s all :-)

• says

Ah, what an amazing husband! You remembered Emma’s and forget your own!! Will add tomorrow:-)–perhaps this one rather than the evangelistic one, as I am cutting blogs each time I add new ones, and don’t want to offend too many people!
      Happy New Year!!

• says

Yeah, am going to do a list in April, just for fun, using Klout scores, probably, or Unique Monthly Visitors according to Google Analytics. Which do you think is more representative if one were trying to construct a list of the most influential Christian bloggers?

• says

Grace at {Gabbing with Grace} pointed out something that I’m not sure you can quantify – how bloggers can be very engaged and yet have low Facebook likes. I think that’s going to become more and more the case as Facebook gets more and more corporate-focused. They keep changing the algorithms so that we can’t see our posts, so we’re going to have to interact differently.

I’m not sure how to quantify influence, honestly. It reminds me of the work I used to do at a children’s hospital improving the experience of care. How do you put objective numbers on something that is inherently subjective?

• says

Thanks, Joy. Doing the list was fun thought. It helped me realize how huge the Christian blogosphere is, and introduced me to new people–and it was fun to pass the introductions on.

• says

Agreed, Joy.  My facebook stats are slightly higher b/c I worked in campus ministry for so long, so I have lots of students & staff from across the country who “like” my blog page, however, none of them & I mean literally, very few of them are bloggers, blog readers or blog commenters.  So, while my twitter/facebook feeds appear somewhat bloated for my engagement level with my blog, it can also be discouraging partly b/c I’ve done so little to engage with other bloggers while I was so heavily invested in ministry.  so, yeah those numbers don’t always tell the truth, per se.  Some bloggers with far less facebook likes have a lot better social engagement with their blogs.

5. says

Thought I’d throw Third Option Men into the ring even though it’s clearly a conglomerate and not an individual (nearing 7k on FB). Daily articles by men who claim to follow Christ.

PS- Thanks for the list; I hadn’t heard of many of these inspiring people.

6. says

Great list for reading! I have a popular blog, and I am a Christian who writes about my faith. Although I don’t always write about it, I think writing about being frugal, being a stay at home wife (and submissive wife) and homemaking IS Christian. I have over 4,000 fans on Facebook. I am curious, Why do you not include bloggers who are Christian but don’t write only about their faith?  There is so much more to living a Christian life than talking about it. It is walking it and that is what I write about. I hope you understand that I am just trying to see it from your POV :) If you would like to check out my blog, it’s at http://savedbygraceblog.com God Bless!

• says

Thanks Christine. I guess I am trying to narrow it down to blogs with a wide appeal to all Christians, of all genders. Writing about being a stay at home and submissive wife and homemaking appeals to those who have chosen that path, but not to men, or women who work, or who, like I myself, believe Paul’s directive to be mutually submissive to each other is healthier; ( though that’s another subject.) I guess I am trying to construct a list with wide appeal to Christians despite gender and nationality or working/Stay at home women.
      Perhaps you could construct a broader list?
      Blessings!!

• says

I guess I can see what you mean, but by nature, a blog is about one’s personal expiriences or it would be something else, really. Blogs were oringinally an online journal idea, and most people wouldn’t write “in general” in thier journals, they would write thier expiriences and personal convictions. Most websites don’t appeal to “everyone”, thus why they have a demographic or niche they are aiming for. To be completely honest, most of the blogs you listed all have a demographic, even a simple one of just Christians who believe as they do.  I guess what I am getting at is, I think your leaving out some amazing bloggers (I know many!) simply because they have a target audience. When I say “I am walking it”, I am talking about walking in my own relationship with Jesus. I meant no harm or to say that those, like yourself, who do not believe as I do are “wrong” as we all have our own paths with our Savior and our own calling.

• says

Christine, you should do a list and introduce your favourite bloggers to new audiences. Seriously! With 4000 fans, it may well go viral quickly.
          Blessings, Anita

7. Terry says

Dan Cruver’s Blog, Together for Adoption https://www.facebook.com/togetherforadoption has over 1600 facebook fans.

8. Mikey G Lynch says

Not sure what your Aussie tally is like, but my Christian Reflections
    blog happily offers itself: thegenevapush.com/xian_reflections
    (see xnreflections.blogspot.com for 2006-2009)

God bless, Mikey (835 FB)

Trackbacks